In a world where we lose ourselves
in individuality, we create the
movement of tomorrow.
Urban Sports such as skateboarding, freerunning, and urban dance are booming. These appealing lifestyle sports are growing because people more and more want to decide with whom, where, and when they want to sport. At the same time, municipalities increasingly want to focus on urban sports, and large brands are targeting this target ‘group of the future’. As a society, we are therefore increasingly embracing urban sports.
However, we encounter new challenges. How do you reach a fast-growing market that is fragmented, has no established sports clubs, with athletes who do not have fixed times, see the entire city as their playground, and are therefore completely unbound?
- Urban sports are rising (opportunity)
- Don’t know where all the sport ‘hotspots’ are
- You can’t easily compete and meet others
- There are (almost) no organized urban sport clubs
- No insights into urban sports
- How to formulate urban and execute an urban policy?
- Not being able to reach and service Urban Sports
- The quality of life decreases through urbanization
- How to keep customers connected?
- & engaging our audience with activations that fit today's digital world?
- Don’t want to use plain-advertisement
- Urban sports have a unique & trendy image (opportunity)
THE CITY IS YOURs
change the world of urban sports
Worlds first smart urban sports platform which connects the shattered urban community through the passion they love, engage private parties to these communities with high-end brand activations, and give public parties undiscovered and innovative ways to transforms their cities into smart urban playgrounds for urban sports which creates a better quality of life in cities.
Designed by urban athletes, for urban athletes, municipalities, and brands
CHALLENGES, Jams & Events
Insights dashboard | activation dashboard
“The urban club”
- Know the legendary spots ;-)
- Sharing content -from all levels- with your peers
- Connecting with your peers
- Sports becomes more fun & challenging
- You can –finally- compete with others
- Active youngsters, and keep them longer active
- Make the public space more exercise-friendly
- Insights in the ‘unorganized’
- Make rightful decisions & investments
- Improving quality of life
- Improving economy
- Don’t be an interruptive ad, build a (interactive) relationship
- Connect with ‘trendy’ urban sports
- Stimulate sales
“When you want, where you want, with who you want”
“Build smarter and healthier cities"
"Be an inspiration for your audience"
“Cities pay for your marketing roll-out, and it strengthens your data-model”
- Investment manager BOM
“Companies generates more users and more value”
- Red Bull marketing manager
All sources of income can and will be,
automated and made scalable.
Successful concepts in other domains
All 20+ mln. revenue
- Runkeeper sold to Asics for $85 million
- Runtastic sold to Adidas for $239 million
- Endomondo sold to Under Armour for $85 million
- Strava, 1 billion valuation and sells products similar to CityLegends: premium features (B2C), brandactivations (B2B), and data-driven insights (B2G)
- Only focus on one urban sport: URBN Jumpers (Freerun), LOKE (Skateboarding)
- Very one-sided revenue streams: Premium features, donations or merchandise
- Don’t have partners to develop unique high-end features
“There is no competition within the urban sports market that is focused on multiple urban sports, certainly nothing like CityLegends”
– Red Bull marketing manager
Lead developer & Designer
- Imec.Istart shareholder and acceleration program participant
- Acceleration program with focus on scalable software and hardware start-ups
- International network
- University Healthcare-, sport & innovation management
- Ex-urban athlete
- 4 years relevant work experience
- 9 years entrepreneur
- University ICT (not graduated, started as entrepreneur)
- Urban athlete
- 5 years entrepreneur
- University ICT
- More than 20 years relevant experience
- 5 years entrepreneur
- Participated in various sporttech and adtech start-ups
- University Society & Technology
- CEO of Urban Sports expertise and innovation centre
- Highly experienced in public, innovation, and start-up domain
Remaining team & advisory board
4 Other team members with 4 years avg. work experience in a relevant domain, half of the team is an (ex-) urban athlete. Advisory board with avg. 25. relevant work experience of business development, building start-ups to scale-ups, financial knowledge, and broad network within brands and public parties.
1 full-time senior business developer. Later, 2 developers with 3 years avg. work experience in relevant companies to their roles. There´s no immediate need for developers because one of our shareholders ‘Hulan’ is a gamestudio with 15 FTE, were we easily scale up and down at favorable rates.
market & traction
TAM: 3,4 billion. 60+ million Urban athletes* (8-25y), 1760+ municipalities (+100.000 citizens), 5000+ Brands (with 2.5+ million revenue). Market drivers: individualization, urbanization, social media, urban sports on Olympics.
*Skateboarding, Parkour, BMX, Scootering, Calisthenics, Inline-skate, Trampoline Freerunning, Street Soccer, Street basketball;
Opportunities (not calculated within given number): Surfing, Skiing, Snowboarding, …;
"Users generate yearly €3,1, and we can reach and keep them for €2,5"
(including active- non-active users)
- 94% willing to contribute €3,67 a month for premium features (by questionnaires)
- metrics we use 3% premium, €3+ a month, total acquisition cost €1,4 per user, retention cost €1,1, lifetime value 22+ months, churn max. 8%, ...
- 300 ambassadors, willing to promote CityLegends for free
Municipalities & governments
- 82% wish to purchase
- 51 leads, with half of them we are negotiating about budget
- Goal 2021: 20 municipalities signings. Now on 9 and counting!
- Present clients (9): Arnhem, Den Bosch, Helmond, Breda, Hilversum, Amersfoort, Dordrecht, Groningen, and Rotterdam
- 88% wants to be involved with paid collaborations
- Marketing agencies want to be brand enablers
- 4 Pilots with Blue Tomato, Jumpsquare, JumpXL, Skatedeluxe
- (bèta) Platform 1.0 + launch
- 1800+ bèta users
- 30+ leads & 6 paid pilots
- 5G Partnership (e.g. VodafoneZiggo)
- 35k revenue
- 10+ cities
- 3+ companies
- Benelux marketing campaign
- Funding phase approx. 600k
- Data-driven reports for cities
- 18+ cities Benelux, Germany and/or United Kingdom
- 4+ brands pilots
- Established longterm partnership with multinational
- First 5Gamechanger on 5G-net
- Implemented B2C and/or B2B business model
- Concept and business model validated
- Coreteam build
- CityLegends founded
- Platform 2.0
- Deeply validated B2C and B2B business model
- Contracted additional marketeer & researcher
- Launched broadly within Belgium and the Netherlands
- 10.000 users
Q1’2020 - Own cash invested 150k€ for research, branding, and development
Q3’2020 - 3rd party cash invested 50k€ (Imec.IStart)
Q1'2021 - 80k closed deals + 50k grant
June’2022 - Funding ask of 600k (80k Imec.Istart, 520k <open investor>) for mainly international B2G and B2C marketing, business development, and development of additional unique ‘gamechanger’ features to support exponential international growth.